Thursday, February 23, 2023

Snow Day STEM Learning

Occasionally, when all the winter weather aligns, my kiddos and I find ourselves home during a winter storm without the ability to venture out until the snow plows rescue us from the blizzard. Today was such a day.











During my lunch break, my 8-year-old brought me his broken self-stirring mug, asking if it was fixable. My response was, "What's the worst we can do at this point?" We began disassembly, then more disassembly, then cleaning. 

The diagnosis was a seized motor. The only logical next step? Consult YouTube. We found a great tutorial by a knowledgeable young man and applied what we learned.

After a few applications of the miraculous liquid known as WD-40, we had movement.



Drunk on our success, we assembled the cup a little too quickly and disconnected the ground wire. Daddy came to the rescue with a quick solder job and we were back in business. Now #8 was the proud owner of a refurbished self-stirring mug and a renewed interest in engineering. 

The problem? We had no chocolate syrup to make chocolate milk. A glance at the roads showed they were still too iffy to venture out. We googled recipes only to discover we were also out of sugar. No Googly configuration yielded a recipe that did not include some sort of granulated sugar. 









However, modern problems call for modern solutions, and we turned to ChatGPT. I explained my situation to my friendly chatbot, and he bounded to the rescue. You can see our end results here:


When life hands you a snow day, make chocolate milk!


No comments:

Post a Comment