Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Using Testing Data for MTSS in Virtual ELA

Image of checklist
    Utilizing student assessments to guide teaching and learning can be one of the most impactful yet daunting tasks a teacher faces in any environment. In the virtual environment, this can be compounded by the time and space that separates the teacher from the student.

adult hands supporting children
    One way that I apply this approach is to use benchmark data to differentiate literacy instruction for middle schoolers. After encouraging students to complete the fall benchmark in reading, I keep an eye out for the results. Then, I review students who appear to be struggling with grade-level reading tasks. Next, I invite that student to meet with me one on one in a video chat. I incentivize this meeting by offering to skip an assignment of my choosing in the student’s ELA course. In that meeting, after getting to know the student’s interests, if I haven’t already done so, I will ask them to read a passage aloud to me. Then, I will review a few comprehension questions with the student. This allows me to gauge both their oral fluency and their comprehension. 


    Based on the results of this exercise, I will make recommendations to aid them in their course. If the
results show a student who is reading far below grade level, I may reach out to his or her advisor to suggest a curriculum change. This is why doing this differentiation early in the semester is so important. 

Finally, I send the student an email summarizing the tips and copy parents and mentors.


1 comment:

  1. This is a great plan, Betsy! My favorite tip is sending the summarizing email to the student, parents and mentor. What a great way to keep everyone on the same page and to have a reminder of the plan.

    ReplyDelete