Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Digital Stickers for more than Motivation

     While many studies point to the superior power of intrinsic motivation, every classroom teacher still reaches for rewards as a form of extrinsic motivation and rapport building. Classroom rewards don’t only offer motivation, but they offer a way to connect with students, especially if the rewards can highlight the personal interest of the students. Rewards can also offer a way to connect to a specific student's "love language." By giving a tangible reward that reflects a student’s personal preferences, a teacher acknowledges that he or she has learned something specific about that student. 


Birthday Bitmoji with Unicorn

    In the online classroom, it is tricky to connect with students in this way. 

One of the first methods I developed was to send personalized birthday wishes. During the first week of school, I send the students a survey that asks them, among other things, about their birthday. Then, as responses come in, I schedule a Gmail message with a birthday Bitmoji to go out to that student on their birthday. This task that takes just a moment on my part generates, at last, a handful of positive remarks from students and zero negative responses throughout the year. It is clearly a worthwhile endeavor. 


    A slightly more involved thing I do is order a set of “water bottle stickers” from Amazon. Then, when I send kudos cards home to students, I include a sticker. I send kudos cards for students who show improvement or meet a goal that I know they sent. 


    Finally, the most involved reward item I sent was a small prize. When I host a group game, like a Zoom

Gull Lake Kudos Cards

Kahoot game, I will send the winner a small prize from Amazon. I have found several items to send for less than $5 with free Prime shipping. I look up the student’s address in the SIS and send it to their house. If I know something the student likes, I try to personalize the prize. For instance, I sent hot cocoa candy canes to a student that had mentioned it. I send a horse bracelet to a student who took horseback riding as her PE application. 


   Just one effort to connect with students in this way creates a strong connection between students and teachers. Comment below ideas you have used.



No comments:

Post a Comment